Friday, May 30, 2008

Heflam's Mark


This image has always stuck with me, ever since I first saw it carved into the dock at Taz Matul. I've always considered myself a relatively simple man whose life just happened to lead him to sea. As such, I don't claim to know much about any worlds or lifes beyond this. That said, I've taken some comfort over the years in knowing that this symbol signifies the light or soul or somesuch in each of us - and its ability to reach out beyond this physical stuff that we lumber around in. Yeah, I like that.

Not sure what good this tattoo will do me. This is a rather spontaneous decision. In fact, until now I'd been one of the rare sailors that I've encountered who hadn't been inked or scarred. Nevertheless, it should look rather striking on my forearm.

No comments: