Friday, April 18, 2008

Turn 3: Heflam

I have to admit, this kid's incessant lisping and whining are really getting to me - so much so that I actually find myself shoving him to the ground. He all but vanishes into the omnipresent shadow of this place. His tiny dragon, on the other hand, shoots straight at me - biting, clawing, whipping that tail.

"Whadja do that for?" asks Gepetto, backing off to avoid any dragon spillover.

"Get it off! Get it off!!" I swat and dodge, but this formerly cute, little thing is like quicksilver. My thrashing dislodges something from the wall, knocking it to the floor. Dane digs around for it in the darkness.

Twix stumbles to his feet, managing to say, "C-c-come here." The beasty flits away from me with little hesitation, returning to its perch on the lad's shoulder.

As I compose myself, checking for blood and whatnot, Dane rises with an old torch. I dig through my jury-rigged pack and pull forth flint and steel. After a few tries, we manage to spark up the short staff, revealing little more in the room than we'd already seen - or not seen, as the case maybe. However, as I cast the flame about, we discover a stairwell, spiraling both upward and down.