Friday, April 18, 2008

Turn 3: Twix

It's dark in the tower, the only light coming from the door and from high above, where thin windows allow blade thin shafts of light to blaze against dark red banners. I don't recognize the emblem. The dragonet, who is resting upon my shoulder, his tail securely but gently wrapped around my neck trills slightly. I'm not sure why he doesn't fly back outside. He'd prefer the sun to the shade after all. I whisper as much to him, but he takes no more heed of me than the others do.

I feel ridiculous in my blouse, but at least there's no one here who can see me. At least no one that I give two shivs about. These sailors are no better than the ruffians back home. Part of me wants to prove myself to them, but for the most part, I just don't care. No, better to have them dead at my feet, their putrid bodies decaying, swarming with maggots, feeding the earth. Yes, death, the womb of life, the cradle of greatness, the way to power and glory. Kill them all, let them feed me, let their flesh house my children, my precious...

The shock of the dragonet's claws digging into my shoulder, the pain from my ear where it bit me, and the tightness around my neck bring me back to myself. I shake my head to to clear it. What was I thinking?

I look around the tower. It is not a welcoming place. I turn to see the others entering behind me.

"There'sss s-s-s-omething wrong here. Sssomething in... in my head. We sshould go ssomewhere elsse."